The ECOI operates according to the Electronic Communications Act no 81/2003 and the Act on Fjarskiptastofa nr. 75/2021.
The Electronic Communications Office of Iceland primary objectives are:
To ensure an economic, secure and accessible service
The primary aim of the ECOI is to ensure an economic, secure and
accessible telecommunication and postal service for all inhabitants of Iceland.
To ensure effective competition
The key factor in ensuring an effective competition is to detect and control that it exists in the market.
The main purposes and emphasis of the policy are:
- implementing the policy of the public authorities,
- ensure evolution of the information society,
- inform the consumers,
- ensure effective competition,
- ensure clear and transparent rules on the telecommunications and postal market,
- effective measures and first class staff.